viernes, 9 de octubre de 2009

IELTS Writing - Key Words & Expressions

http://www.goodluckielts.com/ielts-writing-keywords.html

By learning to use common phrases and set expressions, you can add variety and interest to your writing. You will also be able to write more quickly and effectively during exams, when time is limited.

Of course, you won't need to use all of the expressions on the IELTS. Ideally, you should be comfortable using at least three or four expressions from each group below, so they come to mind easily during the IELTS. It is also helpful to have someone call them out so you can test your spelling. Unfortunately, students sometimes make spelling errors even in these commonly occurring expressions. Practice sufficiently so you don't lose points unnecessarily on something that's within your control.

KEY WORDS for IELTS WRITING

Stating Your Opinion


In my opinion,
According to me,

In my view,
To me,

From my point of view,
I think

It seems to me that
I believe

From my perspective
To my way of thinking

It appears that
I suppose

I realize
I understand

I imagine
I feel


Giving Examples

For example,
For instance,

such as
In other words,

as
like

that is
namely

To illustrate
To paraphrase


Comparing
Similar to
As...as

in common
also

Either...or
In the same way,

Neither...nor
At the same time

Just as
resemble




Contrasting


However,
But

On the contrary,
On the other hand,

Differ from
Nevertheless

Although
Though

Otherwise
Instead

Alternatively,
Even though


Generalizing


Generally,
Generally speaking,

Overall,
On the whole,

In general,
By and large,

It seems to me that
I believe

All in all,
Basically,

Essentially,
As a rule,

All things considered
For the most part


Expressing Certainty


Certainly,
Undoubtedly,

Doubtless,
No doubt,

Definitely,
Of course,


Expressing Partial Agreement


More or less,
To some extent,

Up to a point,
Almost,

In a way,
So to speak,

The "in my point of view" sounds rather Spanglish. It should be "from my point of view". We normally drop the "point of" and say just "in my view". Other, less formal possibilities could be:
to my mind: to emphasise that this is your opinion
I reckon: usually to express an opinion about what is likely to happen
I feel: to express a strong personal opinion
if you ask me: to express an opinion that may be critical
to be honest (with you): to express a critical opinion without seeming rude
as far as I'm concerned: to express an opinion that may be different from others

Formal examples, for academic essays etc.:

I think that…
It seems to me that…
I would argue that…
I do not believe that…
I am unconvinced that…
I do not agree that…

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario